THE LITTLE SOMETHINGS... FOR A BETTER WORLD...

Well, it was a long hectic day, and on top of that the amount of rushing-arounds that I had to do today had actually made me, in a word, freak out… To add on a juicy cherry on top, my brother, who happens to be a little ahead than me on the insane-meter, was driving me almost crazy… He’s been under medical observation, and it’s me who has to be his PA for his every single meeting with doctor… Yeah, you guessed it right, starting with scheduling his appointment, to carrying the right document, to collecting reports, to discussing them with the doctor, to buying medicines, yes, each of these I have to do… My blackberry is loaded with reminders of each of these events, and at times I fail to understand whether my poor phone has any other things to do at all or not… Yeah, today too, the same schedule repeated, and no wonder, I turned almost insane and freaked out by the time it was 6 in the evening… But, the reason why I’m writing this note is not to describe or complain what’s wrong with my life, instead the reason is something special… And, I’m certain of a thing that I would actually not going to forget this incident for a long time in the future…

Well, it was almost 6 and we were supposed to meet the consulting doctor for my brothers report discussion at around 7… After a long fight and pushing hard, my brother got ready to see the doctor, and accordingly he was supposed to reach the hospital in around 45 minutes… I had almost an hour in hand, and the hospital being just ten minutes from my place, I decided to put an effort in lifting my mood up before I met my brother, and accordingly I decided to sit in the coffee shop from where I pick up daily coffee… As I came out of my place I realized it had been raining and so the rain-drenched dusky evening was a magical one… Well, my mood started brightening in that turquoise evening light… I picked up my coffee, started sipping the same and then waited on the main road looking for an auto to reach the hospital which was almost 4 kms away…

This part of the whole evening is something I actually would have liked to avoid… I hate autos and auto-guys with my heart and soul…Every morning when I wait for one, they would bug me asking for extra money over and above the actual fare, or most of the times they would refuse to go where you need to go, and some other times they would make you literally beg… Yeah, there’s not a single point for which I can say I would ever appreciate these 3-wheeled vehicle… Today too, with an irritated mind and an unknown disgust I waited for an auto… After a while, when the signal behind opened, a row of autos came by… I waved many of them, but finally I could make one stop by, and when it did I got into it… With my playlist on my ears, I hardly bothered to look at the guy driving the vehicle and asked him to put the meter down… As we got ourselves into the midst of the non-ending traffic on the main road, my irritation level rose up… But then since I was not hurrying up, I didn’t let my anger rise up to my head… Millions vehicles of all shapes, sizes and types had crowded out the city-road and wherever you see and your eyes can reach there was a sea of these… And, why not??? This is the time almost half the offices in the city gets over and everyone, in an attempt to reach home early, gathers on the road, turning it into an endless procession of vehicles… Today too, the same thing was very obvious, and it actually didn’t surprise me much… We were moving ahead, leaps and bound, and well, as predictable, it was taking forever for the jam to get cleared…

And, suddenly then happened something which is what I’m writing this note about… Well, it was a small incident, but then, something that blew my mind away… And, certainly it was something that told me that if anyone wants do something for someone’s good, you don’t need to have a lot of resources, nor you need to be someone highly influential… You can do it with what you have, and by being what you are and yeah also, how you are…

Yeah, coming back to what happened, as we crossed half the distance, on that crowded road, we halted at a place, almost 300 metres from a signal… The signal was closed, and so we had no choice but to wait there till it opened again… Suddenly, there was the siren of an ambulance which was rushing from behind, and it was apparent that it was in a hurry… The sound was irritating and so I increased the volume of my music on my ears… But, to my surprise, the guy that was driving the auto I was in, got down… And, for the first time, I saw his face properly, and also saw that he was an old guy, of more than 45 age, but he looks older than that, owing to, I’m sure, the fact that he has a not-so-easy life… He rushed towards the ambulance first, and came rushing back towards where his auto was… Looking at his strange behaviour, I peeped out of the auto, and realized that the ambulance has a heart-patient… But nobody was much bothered, and hence there was no improvement in getting the traffic cleared, infact there was nobody who was in a situation to do anything to try clearing the non-ending rows of cars, and buses, and bikes, and autos… To my surprise, there was no traffic police too, in the signal… But, well, obviously I didn’t bother to get out of my seat, and thereby doing anything that could help the patient in the ambulance…

And, that’s what this particular guy from my auto was trying to do… He was trying to gather everyone in helping to get the ambulance move through the crowd of vehicles… And, as opposite to what I defined as insanity, his effort seemed to make sense in a while… He ran to the signal, spoke to each of the cars and other vehicles, and somehow managed to clear a path amidst that horrific traffic… And in around 7 minutes the ambulance moved ahead, its siren kept blowing, and soon, it disappeared at the distant roads… And, by then, even my auto was on track again… Predictably enough I was shocked and I was wondering how on earth this seemingly clueless guy decided on his own to help out someone who was in actual need…

Soon, I reached the hospital I wanted to be at, and paid the auto-guy what he deserved… I had to get 5 rupees back from the guy, but I told him not to give it back, as I felt it was really not necessary… Cuz, today, what he had done was something that has by no means any comparison to anything money could buy… For a change, and for the first time in my life, I realized that all auto-guys are not bad, in fact there are some people who are exceptionally amazing and great… And, this particular guy happens to be one of them…

As I walked into the hospital, I realized, truly, it takes only one simple moment to make yourself do something great… You don’t really need to be someone with everything around to be useful to someone needy, all you need is just a heart that wants to help others… And, certainly, no matter what you are, what your strengths are, all you need is a streak to put that extra bit, that makes you do something, which no one else could think and be able of doing…

Yeah, it’s that little something that we do, which can brighten up someone’s life; yeah, it’s that little help that we offer which can let someone live a better life; it’s that little warmth that we share which can lighten up someone’s life; it’s that little effort that we put which can save the li

fe of someone who’s in his death bed… And, to do this little something all we need is just little wish and a heart, which beats a little for everyone around… Certainly, it takes only a little from us, but it surely does turn the world into a so much better place to live in...

1 comment: